Create a bright and festive Christmas Cake with colorful candy and vibrant green frosting.
How to Make:
Baked and frosted Cake (buttercream recipe below)
Colorful candy (I used colorful Sixlets candy)
Electric green color gel
Pink and white cookie straws (I found in the Asian section of my grocery store) – you can use colorful candy sticks too.
Disposable decorating bag
#16 decorating star tip
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter till whipped well. Then and Crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.