Yum! is all I can say about these cookies. If you love brown butter anything, you will love the added molasses and spices.
Brown butter makes a nutty flavor to the butter which then enhances all baked goodies.
I had made molasses cookies before but wanted to see if adding browned butter would change the flavor – and it did. It created a rich buttery flavor. I served them at a party and they were a huge hit!
First, let’s talk about browning butter. Make sure your butter starts off cold so that it slowly melts in the pan. You will need to keep an eye on the butter as it will begin to form bubbles (make sure your pan is large enough). You will begin to see the bubbles subside (stirring continually) and once you see the once yellowy color now brownish – take it off the heat.
Pour browned butter in a container and refrigerate until solid again.
Watch the quick how-to video and print recipe.
Brown Butter Molasses Cookies
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 Cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup dark molasses
- 2 large eggs ( 1 egg and 1 yolk)
- 1/2 Cup sugar (for rolling cookies)
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves optional
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- Brown butter and let cool
- Beat butter in with brown sugar.
- Beat in molasses
- Add in 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Mix well.
- in a new bowl, mix flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Add flour mixture one cup at a time to sugar mixture until all mixed.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough balls into sugar. Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake in pre-heated 350F oven for 11 minutes.