I love to be inspired by colorful candy, as it makes it easier to decorate cakes. Today I show you how to make a beautiful butterfly birthday cake using candy.
Subscribe to our channel for three new videos each week!
One filled cake – Strawberry Cake Recipe below
Buttercream Frosting (see below)
Food color gels (I used Electric Purple)
#18 decorating tip
Disposable decorating bag or pastry bag
Laffy Taffy candy
Decoration for the top – I am using butterflies (optional)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines Brand)
3.5 ounce box of strawberry jello
3/4 cup strawberry puree (made by blending frozen strawberries)
or 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes if using two 8-inch pans. Check for doneness before bringing out of the oven.
Let cool before frosting.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Cake Mix Magic Recipes & Decorating Ideas