Do you love a healthy meal packed with flavor? Ceviche is it!
You can make it as an appetizer, a side dish, or even the main meal with the shrimp as your protein.
Ceviche always looks difficult to make – and it’s not.
It is a lot of slicing and dicing, but it is worth it.
I look all things citrus, so this ceviche has a full punch of lemon, lime, and orange. The blend of flavors makes it delicious and vegetable stay vibrant.
A few tips before you begin.
- Only use fresh citrus – lemons, limes and oranges. If you cannot find fresh oranges, you can substitute with 100% freshly squeezed OJ.
- You will need at least 30 minutes marinating time. It is perfect to make ahead of time – cover. Add the avocados at serving time.
- Ceviche is best served cold and the day you make it.
- I cut all my veggies next to the sink to make using the same cutting board easy to clean throughout.
- You can buy cooked shrimp, but I like to buy unpeeled, uncooked shrimp in the freezer or meat counter. I peel, devein and cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes until cooked. I cool and then cut into pieces. LOOK for shrimp on sale!
What you will need: (ingredients and printable recipe below)
- Large bowls
- Sharp cutting knife
- Sauce pan if buying uncooked shrimp
- Citrus squeezer (optional)
- Strainer if citrus has seeds (optional)
- Shrimp, fresh lemons – limes -oranges, tomatoes, cilantro, cucumber, red onion, avocado, jalapeno peppers (optional)
Citrus Shrimp Ceviche
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 lemons
- 3 limes
- 1 orange
- 4 roma or plum tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bushel cilantro
- 1/2 red onion or small
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 small jalepeno peppers
- 1. Cook the uncooked shrimp in boiling water about 10 minutes. Drain. If using already cooked shrimp, cut into small pieces.2. In a bowl, squeeze juice from lemon, lime, and orange. Pour half of juice into shrimp bowl. Let marinade for 15 minutes.3. Chop and dice tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, onion and peppers. Place in a bowl.4. Mix shrimp and veggies together. Pour over rest of citrus juice. Season with salt and pepper.5. When ready to serve, toss in diced avocado. Serve with tortilla chips or by itself. Serve on top of crackers for an appetizer. Delicious to top on fish or chicken.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Jill's 20 BEST Cake Mix Magic Recipes & Decorating Ideas