Today I begin Cake Decorating Classes, called “The Write Way to Decorating”.
When I created The Write Way to Decorating, I had the home baker in mind. Using what you already know, I can teach anyone how to decorate. Here I show you a clown birthday cake using my method for quick and simple decorating!
Watch my how-to video to see how simple it is to decorate The Write Way – more videos to come!
One 8-inch cake (I used a Yellow Duncan Hines cake mix)
Buttercream Frosting (see below)
Sky blue food color gel (optional)
Colorful Candy balls (sour ball, gum balls etc.)
For the Clown – go to my Clown Cupcake tutorial
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.