I just love spring! What better way to celebrate spring, Easter, new baby and more with a DIY chocolate bird nest and yummy Reeses chocolate eggs (or any edible eggs). Create beautiful cupcakes for your party or special event.
I designed these cupcakes for a wedding reception. The bride was married in a forest in northern California. She was having a family and friends reception in San Diego and wanted to create the magic of the getting married with birds, trees and nature. It was so much fun creating these simple cupcakes, and yummy too.
Let me show you how using melted chocolate chips, jelly beans, frosting and a freezer bag – YOU can make these quick and simple. Everything you need is below.
You will Need:
- Chocolate chips or chocolate bar (you can also use candy melts in any color)
- Candy eggs – I use mini Reeses eggs
- Frosting – use a store-bought frosting or my recipe below
- Green food coloring
- Freezer ziploc bag
- Parchment paper or wax paper
- Pen or pencil to make circles as a guide
Buttercream BASIC Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening or 1 tub of store-bought vanilla frosting
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar (depending on stiffness)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.