The movie FROZEN is a big hit for all ages. The story of a sisterly bond and the magic of Disney creating characters everyone loves. And of course, the music all surrounded with icicles, snowflakes and an ice castle.
Although this cake is FROZEN inspired, it also is a wonderful holiday cake to make.
In my 12 Days of Christmas cakes, this is a show stopper for your family and friends. Using candy melts to make the beautiful snowflakes, the rest is just frosting the cake. To see more of my 12 Days of Christmas cakes, just type “12 Days” in search bar. I’ll have all 12 posted by December 12, 2019.
How to Make:
Baked and frosted Cake (buttercream recipe below) – I used a three layer 8-inch cake to have height to showcase all the snowflakes.
White and blue candy melts (we used Wilton brand Candy Melts)
Blue and white sprinkles
Disposable decorating bags
#1M and #21 decorating star tips
Snowflake template (see below)
*Add a FROZEN movie figurine to top of cake.
Watch our How-to-Make video to see how easy it is to make.
This buttercream makes a sturdy frosting for decorating. If you want just a soft frosting to ice your cake, you can omit the shortening and add only 4 Cups of powdered sugar.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted) – slightly cold butter
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix butter till whipped well. The butter should begin to turn a whitish color. Then and Crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.