Have you seen Inside Out movie by Pixar? One of the sweet characters is JOY. I had fun designing her and making her so YOU can make it to. Watch Jill make Joy on our YouTube channel:
The best part of decorating is giving it to others!! Sarah was very surprised. She loves the Inside Out movie – especially JOY!
You will need this template to be your guide. Save it and print it so you can put it under parchment paper for easy decorating with your royal icing. You can enlarge copy to fit an 8-inch round cake.
You will need:
Two 8-inch cakes filled with buttercream (I used a Yellow Duncan Hines cake mix)
Royal Icing recipe – see below
Buttercream recipe – see below (you need 1/2 batch for covering cake in flesh color and 1/2 batch for electric blue for the hair)
Food color gel – black, electric blue and flesh (you can mix ivory with a dab of pink for flesh too)
Ziploc bag or disposable decorating bags
Candy – we used red, green, yellow, and orange sour balls
Pixie sticks (to highlight her hair)
Royal Icing Recipe:
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 largo egg white (no yolks)
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
How to Make:
Mix well until smooth. After decorating, the icing will harden so you can stack cookies for shipping and storage etc. If icing is too thick, add some water.
Caution: This icing dries fast so keep covered with a wet towel or saran wrap until use.
Buttercream Frosting: Make half the batch flesh colored and the other half electric blue for Joy’s hair.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.