Making caramel is definitely a science. It took me many attempts to get the perfect caramel.
The recipe is quick simple. It is just 1 Cup of sugar, 1/3 Cup water, and 3/4 Cup heavy cream.
So what’s so hard about it? YOU HAVE to WATCH closely to get the perfect temperature.
Let me show you through the video and then my step-by-step instructions. Once you master making caramel, you will never buy store-bought again.
Caramel Topping Sauce
- Metal saucepan
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 Cup water
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter optional
- 1 tsp sea salt optional
- 1. Pour sugar in a metal saucepan
- 2. Cover sugar with water, about 1/3 cup water.
- 3. Turn on medium heat. Do NOT stir.
- 4. For 5-7 minutes watch the sugar boil until it turns a chestnut amber color. You can use a candy thermometer to 350 F.
- 5. Take off heat and pour in the cream. IT WILL BOIL up. Don't worry, it will come down and begin to work into the sugar.
- 6. Stir continuously until it begins to thicken. You can add butter and stir (optional) or sea salt.
- 7. Pour into a glass jar and let cool and thicken.