The delicate flavor of Red Velvet Cupcakes, with a hint of sour from the buttermilk, and light chocolate flavor. Add red food coloring to bring out a vibrant color from the red and chocolate. This is Red Velvet.
Top your cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting and it will be a favorite treat or gorgeous dessert.
Watch how easy Red Velvet Cupcakes are to make:
Moist Red Velvet Cupcakes
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- 2 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk or milk with 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 Cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 Cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 drops red food coloring or beet juice for color
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.Beat eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Mix in buttermilk, and oil. Add in sour cream, sugar, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix well.Pour into flour mixture and mix well. Do not over mix.Spoon batter into 20 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.Bake 20 - 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
Recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting Click Here
How to make instant cupcake sprinkles: