What to do with candy melts? They aren’t just for cake pops and candy molds.
I had fun designing this cake.
I made the candy melt rainbows the day before as it does take some time melting the candy, along with cooling to firm up.
I melted the candy melts in the microwave for 60 seconds and then smoothed with a metal spatula. I let firm before putting on the sides of the cake. I did the same for the rainbow.
The cake is my vanilla cake with raspberry mousse filling with American buttercream frosting (see recipes)
You will need:
- Cakes – cooled
- Candy melts of any color
- Metal spatula
- Spatula or bench scraper
- Cake plate
- Decorator bag or ziploc bag
- Pink food color (or any color)
- Star tip – I used a #22
How to create Drip Effect:
You need: 1 Cup Candy Melts (not chocolate) with 1/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (not milk)
- Heat milk in microwave for 30 – 45 seconds till hot but not foaming.
- Pour over candy melts.
- Let sit for a minute to get candy melts to start melting.
- Stir until blended. If all candy is not melted you can put in microwave at 10 second intervals.
- Let cool in the refrigerator until thicker.
- Put in a bottle with tip or in decorator bag/zip-loc bag with a small hole cut.
I made a vanilla cake and filled with raspberry mousse (mixing raspberry jan with buttercream).
Moist Vanilla Cake
Ingredients: Printable recipe below (make two 8-tier cakes)
- 4 Cups flour
- 2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 3 sticks melted butter – cooled to room temperature
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (170 C).
Keep all ingredients at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before making. Melt butter and get it to room temperature before mixing.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
In another bowl, mix milk, sour cream, butter, extract and eggs well. I use a whisk.
Pour wet ingredients into the middle of the four bowl. Mix well.
Pour batter into greased/floured or lined cake pans.
Bake for 30 minutes or until middle is baked through. I will test this by placing my finger slightly in the middle of the cake to see if it bounces back.
Cool completely before decorating or putting in the refrigerator for future use.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Cake Mix Magic Recipes & Decorating Ideas