Simple Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Creator/Designer: Jill Lodato
Cuisine: Glazed Carrots
Recipe type: Side Dish
Will Serve: 10
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into ¼-inch slices (12 to 14 medium)
- ½ teaspoon salt, if desired
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ½ teaspoon salt
How to Make
- Heat 1 inch water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add carrots and, if desired, ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered 12 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Use a fork to test for tenderness. The fork should pierce carrot easily.
- While carrots are cooking, heat brown sugar, butter, orange peel and ½ teaspoon salt in 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Be careful not to overcook or the mixture will taste scorched. Remove from heat.
- Drain carrots. Stir carrots into brown sugar mixture. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and gently, until carrots are glazed and hot.