Do you love rainbows? You can decorate a rainbow cake using candy from a grocery store. Make a Little Pony cake, Saint Patricks Day, Graduation cake or a special occasion to celebrate!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for three new videos each week!
One 8-inch cake (I used a Yellow Duncan Hines cake mix)
Buttercream Frosting (see below)
Sky blue food color gel (optional)
Candy in rainbow colors (I used starburst and fruit chews)
Marshmallows – mini (optional)
Gold Chocolate coins (optional)
My Little Pony figurine (optional)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
Be a FAN on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/SweetArtMadeSimple