With my one basic buttercream for decorating, I show you five other ways to give it delicious flavors. This frosting makes a stiff buttercream, perfecto for icing, piping and creating works of sweet art!
Subscribe to our channel for three new videos each week!
Six Flavor Varieties with my Basic Buttercream Frosting
1. Flavored Frosting: Basic plus variety of extracts (1 – 2 teaspoons)
2. Cream Cheese: Basic plus 8 ounces cream cheese
3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Basic plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
4. Chocolate Frosting: Basic plue 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa with 1/4 cup vegetable oil
5. Chocolate Mini: Chocolate Frosting plus 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
6. Chocolate Peanut Butter: Chocolate Frosting plue 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter.
Buttercream BASIC Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening or 1 tub of store-bought vanilla frosting
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar (depending on stiffness)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.